Self Check: Overview
Integration with Self-Service Systems
- Check out item (and canceling checkout)
- Check in item (and canceling check-in)
- Renew item
- Renew all items
- Pay fees
- Patron information
- Item information
- Patron status
- Login (enables turning the self-check machine on and off)
- Status (verifies that there is communication between Alma and the self-check machine)
See sip2 messages and fields for more details.
Securing SIP2 Communications
- The SIP2 local machines communicate with Stunnel software that is installed on the local Windows/Linux workstation.
- The Stunnel encryption component encrypts the communication using a standard encryption method and a security certificate and sends the SIP2 requests to the Alma cloud over the secure port 6443.
The following diagram describes this architecture:
Processing Transactions when communication is down
Transactions performed at a self-check machine while connectivity between Alma and the self-check machine is down will be sent when connectivity resumes: the self-check machine will automatically send SIP2 messages to Alma for all of the transactions that have been performed while off-line. Alma will process these SIP2 messages accordingly.
Note that loan transactions while offline are done without the self-check machine being able to consult Alma for blocks and due date information. Therefore messages that are sent after connectivity is restored are processed without block checking, and while using the due dates that have been generated by the self-check machine.