Configure social login with Twitter
The following steps are required in order to allow social login in Alma using Twitter.
Note that with Twitter, unlike Facebook and Google, users will need to enter their Twitter’s username and password when they log in to Alma even they have logged into Twitter before that. Twitter explain: “Re-authorization allows a user to make a more informed decision about the access an application has requested.”
Configure Twitter to allow login to Alma
- Create a Twitter account for the library. The account will be used for defining the application on the institution’s behalf.
- Connect to Twitter’ Apps Console with the library’s account.
- Create an application for allowing social login. Details can be found in this blog post. Make sure to set the Access Level to read-only and in Callback URL type your Alma URL (with Twitter it doesn’t matter exactly which URL you configure).
- From the created app, copy the Consumer Key and secret.
Configure and enable social login in Alma
- System: select Twitter.
- App ID, App secret: enter the credentials which was supplied by the social network provider (step 4 above).
- Self-registration section: set to Active if your institution allows self registration of patrons from Primo: Alma will create a user for an unregistered user logging into Primo with social authentication. The user will be created with patron role, and the other defaults defined in this section (user group, Resource sharing library and statistical category).