- Changed the color scheme
- Reworded several labels for clarity
- Limited checkin / checkout to a single circulation desk
- Removed time limits from the purge old files and records process
- Corrected several of the database fields types
- Added a MySQLdump file containing the database schema for quick provisioning
How It Works
- A web server hosts the interface and the database where transactions are centrally stored.
- In the event of an Alma outage, the circulation staff access the web site and use it to record transactions.
- After the outage is over, one staff member uses the web system to generate a transaction file, which is then uploaded to Alma.
Our Environment and Assumptions
- The offline circ server is online.
- Library building's network is available (switches are on UPS, internal traffic will flow as long as there is power to the workstations).
- All workstations that access offline circ have entries in their hosts file (/etc/hosts or c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) for the offline circ app server, in case DNS is unavailable.
- Basic collection of PHP scripts.
- Requires a LAMP webserver with the php-mysqli package.
- Server backups are unnecessary. Data are single-use.
- Web server account has write access to somewhere in the server's filesystem.
- Site is not accessible outside the library. There is no security built into this app, so the server's configuration is all that prevents outside parties from adding data.
[libsys@recirc$] https://github.com/pdxlibrary/alma-offline-circulation-tool.git /var/www/html/offline-circ
[libsys@recirc$] sudo chown apache /var/www/html/offline-circ/output
mysql> create database alma_offline; mysql> grant all privileges on alma_offline.* to offline_user identified by 'offline_pass'; mysql> flush privileges; mysql> exit; [user@recirc$] mysql -u offline_user -poffline_pass alma_offline < include/alma_offline.sql
[libsys@recirc$] cp include/configuration_sample.php include/configuration.php
<?php $MAIN_TITLE = 'Offline Circulation System'; $CONTACT_NAME = 'Library Technologies Team'; $CONTACT_EMAIL = 'firstname.lastname@example.org'; $FOOTER_TEXT = 'Report any issues to $CONTACT_NAME (<a href="mailto:$CONTACT_EMAIL">$CONTACT_EMAIL</a>).'; $LIBRARIES_ARRAY = array( '---' => 'Choose a Library', 'MILLAR' => 'Millar Library', 'AVS' => 'AV Services', ); $DB_SERVER = 'localhost'; $DB_USERNAME = 'offline_user'; $DB_PASSWORD = 'offline_pass'; $DB_NAME = 'alma_offline'; $DB_TABLE = 'transactions'; ?>