Binding Print Serials in Alma – Including Work Order Process
This workflow is designed to use functionality in Alma in order to help us keep track of print serials issues that we are binding. Key benefits of using Alma for binding are:
- LR&A Staff keep track of print serials going off to binding in Alma – instead of using spreadsheets
- The binding work order enables us to print a ‘slip’ with information for the binding vendor to know what to do with print serials we send them – instead of using spreadsheets
- The binding work order merges print serial items into a single volume with a barcode – more accurately reflecting our holdings – and able to recalled through Alma into the LR&A Unit when required (eg for maintenance). Also provides opportunity for serials in eligible collections such as general to be loaned by students and staff.
- Using a binding workorder in Alma enables RMIT staff and students to know in LibrarySearch when print serials are unavailable because they are undergoing binding
NOTE: Include supplements in the bound volumes – but don’t add any information about them in the Alma bound volume item record or as information to be printed on the bound volume spine label (as the descriptions will become too long and confusing).
(eg. 1,2,3,4 – NOT 4, 3,2,1)
Input Binding Instructions into POL
Before commencing you must ensure that you have added binding instructions for the particular serial to the POL Receiving Notes. The notes should be (replace [ ] areas as per instructions below):
* PERMANENT INSTRUCTIONS FOR BINDER: [writing colour], [shade of cover material as per Robe’s numerical shade listing here: Print Serials Binding – Robels Binding Information 2016], [pattern: number of issues/date range of issues to bind together at a time (if this is uniform)] *
* PERMANENT INSTRUCTIONS FOR BINDER: Gold writing, shade 34 Forest Green background, binding pattern: 1 volume is 4 issues. Spine title: LITERATURE BASE, [VOLUME NUMBER], [YEAR], PER 028.505 L776.b *
* PERMANENT INSTRUCTIONS FOR BINDER: Gold writing, shade 11 Black background, binding pattern: 1 volume is 4 issues. Spine title: MIDIRS MIDWIFERY DIGEST, [VOLUME NUMBER], [YEAR], PER 610.73678028 M111.m *
Change the Issues to Bound in Alma
‘To Bind: 16/3/2017.
Note to binder to print on spine: LITERATURE BASE, 25, 2014, PER 028.505 L776.b’
|Journal Collection||Not for Loan|
|General Collection||Standard Loan|
Scan the Items in to the Department and Set the Status of the Work Order to Binding
To see all items with the status of x Binding:
When Items Return, Add Barcode
Change Work Order Status