SpineOMatic: Label Printing Software for Alma
SpineOMatic is a Windows application that works with Ex Libris’ Alma to print spine labels, pocket labels, flag slips, or other custom labels to a variety of desktop or networked printers, singly or in batches. It’s easy to download and install, and is highly configurable.
You can use Ex Libris’ call number and holdings parsing, or you can let SpineOMatic parse the labels for you. SpineOMatic’s parsers can format spine labels for
- Library of Congress and LC Children’s Literature
- Dewey Decimal
- National Library of Medicine (NLM)
- Superintendent of Documents (SuDoc)
- Other (user-defined) schemes
Parsing rules are flexible, and can be tweaked on the fly to match almost any library’s labelling requirements.
Custom Labelling with SpineOMatic
SpineOMatic will run on any Windows computer that has a recent version of Java and the Microsoft .NET framework installed. Here are the current requirements:
- Windows 8, 7, Vista or XP
- .NET Framework version 2.0 or higher
- Java 1.7.x or higher
- Any printer with a Windows print driver
Compatible SpineOMatic Printers
SpineOMatic will print to any printer that can be installed on Windows. The following types of desktop thermal and thermal-transfer label printers have been successfully used with SpineOMatic:
- Smart Label Printers
SpineOmatic can also print batches of labels to laser printers using multi-label sheets. Dot-matrix printers may work as well, but success depends on the printer model and how it interacts with Windows.
Using RESTful Access
The preferred method for getting labeling XML files from Alma is with a REST (REpresentational State Transfer) API call. Java is not required, which simplifies SpineOMatic’s installation and operation. It does require that you get a unique API key from Ex Libris’ Developer’s Network, and insert that key into the “API Key” area in SpineOMatic’s “Alma Access” panel:
Select “Use RESTful API” and update the 3 fields below as follows:
- ALMA URL – your local API Gateway URL:
· America: https://api-na.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com
· EU: https://api-eu.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com
· APAC: https://api-ap.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com
· Canada: https://api-ca.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com
- Method – leave as is.
- API key – an application’s API-key with permission to the BIBs API (read/write or read-only to the production environment).
For more information about generating API-keys see here: https://developers.exlibrisgroup.com/alma/apis