Primo Analytics and Data Visualization (DV) – analyzing device usage
In this blog post we will be using Primo Analytics Data Visualization (DV) to analyze which devices are being used in Primo discovery
See also these YouTube videos about using analytics with Data Visualization.
In the example here we will be creating an analysis of which devices are and are not being used for Primo discovery. We will show various stages in the process in order to highlight various options in the creation of the visualization. The same method used here can be used for other analyses in other subject areas.
1. First we will access the Data Visualization for Primo. From within Alma “Choose Data Visualization (Primo)”. This option is available for those institutions already using Primo VE.
2. Now we will create a project, which will contain a canvas with our desired visualizations. From within the Data Visualization create a project
3. Now we will choose the relevant subject area for the project. In this case we are choosing subject area “Primo Device Usage”
4. Make initial report by dragging the following fields from the left pane to the canvas (on the right):
- “Device Usage > Device”
- “Device Usage > Sessions”
- “Dates > Month (number)”
Drag this field into the filter section on the top and filter by “2019”
- “Dates > Year”
We can see here that the Data Visualization is displaying the data in a Pivot.
5a. Select the fields which we will not want to be part of the visualization and filter them out. Here we are removing three devices then via right-click choosing “Remove Selected”.
5b. Now we see that a filter has been automatically added to the visualization and we have only the devices we want to see.
6. Change the visualization to a line graph. Select the new visualization from where it currently states “Pivot” on the top left and choose a line graph
7. Let’s now include 2018 and 2019. Change the year filter on the top accordingly
8. Let’s now add “Year” to the X Axis
9. Before making further changes let’s save the project
10. Let’s change the filter again for “Device” and exclude also Laptop and blackberry. When we had previously filtered by Year 2019 we did not have “blackberry”.
11. See the results. Note that the trend of usage is the same for each of the devices. The highest usage is by iPhone, followed by android and then by iPad.
13. In addition to the line graph let’s view the data in another visual on the same canvas. Instead of choosing a new visual instead of the line graph we will duplicate the existing visual and then change it
14. Now have two of the same visuals
15a. Let’s choose the visual on the right to be a Donut
15b. Now we have two visualizations on the same canvas: a line graph and a Donut
16. The year and month in the line graph is useful, but not in the Donut. Let’s remove the year and month from the donut visualization and leave them in the line graph. Now in the left paner we see that for the Donut we have “Sessions” for the Values (Slice) and “Device” for the Color, with “Category” between them.